Terri & Ezra's Travel Blog

The 21st century way to inflict our vacation pictures and stories on friends and family.

Friday, April 22, 2005

Late Thursday Wrapup

I plan on ceding the blog floor to Terri to give the blow by blow account of last night's Interpol show, and yes, the afterparty at a club in Montmartre. But I had an epiphany as I was ordering a beer at the afterparty.

In the past few weeks as we've been finalizing our plans, one of the numerous voices in my head kept telling me it was dumb to spend time and money on our all-too-brief vacation to go to yet another Interpol show. Especially considering that they are not a band that strays very far from the album versions in their live shows. So, at the afterparty, as I was waiting for my second Murphy's Irish Red, I was thinking about how when I was in Ireland, Murphy's didn't used to do a red, but this was interesting; it kind of had that smoothness of a stout and it "settled" like a stout. I was reading the little fliers for clubs and shows around town; I was checking out the scene (it was a indie-rock-inspired club, with some pub-like qualities; it's sort of hard to explain, but maybe it would help to say that they were playing clubbed-up versions of Cure songs); I was checking out what the Parisian kids drank.

And then, the epiphany: the little voice that was telling me it was dumb to do something we'd do at home was totally wrong. By doing something we would have done at home, we got a window into what it would be like to live in Paris, we saw things and people that we never would have seen otherwise, we saw what was different about rock shows and clubs and what wasn't, we ended up at a club we never would have found, we saw a show in a part of town we didn't really know anything about. When I had the epiphany, that little voice was silenced, and I definitely started having more fun. Or maybe, it was just the second beer kicking in.

So now, I wish that Prince Ranier could have held on a few more weeks, or else we might also be going to see Andrew Bird in Paris on April 30. (The connection being that we planned the trip around when we could see the show that April is in in Monaco, which as last I heard, was cancelled because Monaco is in mourning for their departed sovereign.)

[Terri] So you see, there is a method to my madness. And I just have to say that this little experience proved that I am not, in fact, obsessed. I can say that because we got to see people who are obsessed. The French fans were MAD! I was smashed up in the second row of the pit, and many people around me were SCREAMING and waving and singing along through the entire show. A friend told me afterward that she saw a girl flash her breasts at Paul. Glad I missed that one. I couldn't see what was going on around me too well after a while because I was pretty jammed in there and couldn't move too freely!

But I'm getting ahead of myself. So we went up to the music complex where Le Zenith is located around 5:30. It's quite a nice place--very parklike. When we got to the venue, there were about 6-8 lines set up. Each was 8-10 people deep when we got there. We picked what looked like one of the shortest lines and settled in. It was a really nice evening... sunny and a little breezy and not too hot or cold. Everyone looked about as I'd expect--15-35 or so... a fair amount of black clothing with shots of color thrown in... and a few Cure t-shirts. I looked around for a few of my message board friends (to be continued)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home